Sunday 12 April 2015

I Muse...On Booklets

I've just been having a bit of a browse on eBay to see what is available in the form of Sweden's Gustav VI Adolf definitives engraved by Slania. Click HERE for my blog explaining how to identify those engraved by Slania. The range was surprising, baffling, and a little scary. I had no idea there were so many different booklet types available!

The question that arises from this, being a Slania collector and not a Sweden collector, do I collect the different types of booklets? Or do I stick with simply pairs or singles of each denomination? I am a trifle confused at this point as to how I will answer this. One could argue that to collect a full set of Slania stamps it should include all varieties of the stamp available. If indeed I do go this route I am in for a monumental challenge.

I'll give you an example of what I mean. Here are just a few of the different booklets available. These are from 1961...

First up we have a 15 öre booklet with the left side imperf (no perforations).



***

Next in line we have a 30 öre booklet.


This one is a bit of a doozy since if I decide to collect all individual booklet examples I can have a horizontal pair with top imperf. I can have a vertical pair with right side imperf. Or I could have a horizontal pair incorporating the 10 öre stamp. Of course I could just collect the two different single examples.

***

If that weren't enough, here's another 15 öre booklet arrangement...


In this instance the right side of the stamp is imperf. Again I could collect a vertical pair oir a horizontal pair incorporating the 5 öre stamp.

***

And it doesn't stop there! Here's another booklet type...


***

Wow! And all of this is just from a few minutes spent browsing on eBay! I don't know for sure but there could be even more different types!

This new information presents quite the conundrum. I see myself doing a lot of head scratching over the coming weeks trying to nut out which is the best answer for me. At the moment I have no clue. I'll let you all know what I decide upon.

That's it for now. Until next time...

Stay Slania Crazy!

2 comments:

  1. Funny how we all seem to struggle with the same questions from time to time! I came to the conclusion that when you collect an engraver, it would really be okay to just have a single copy of each stamp. After all, matters like perf/imperf or watermarks or what have you do not have any bearing on the actual engraving which is what we're concentrating on. So in the case of this particular Swedish set, I would just opt for one of each value/colour and that's it. And then of course go out hunting for any colour proofs or die proofs or maybe signed items and the like.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is certainly the way I am beginning to lean, I think, Adrian.

      Delete