Wednesday 30 August 2017

I Muse... On a Stunning Collection

A couple of weeks ago a fellow Slania collector by the name of Colin contacted me through my blog. After a bit of chatting with him via email, he kindly offered the use of some scanned images of a few pieces from his collection to share on the blog. I gladly accepted the offer! Then when I received the email and opened the attachments I was blown away by the beauty of these engraved works of art. I couldn't wait to share them here. So without further ado, I present to you just a snippet of Colin's beautiful collection of Slania engravings. 

***

First up is an engraving from 1995. The subject is Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, on her 18th birthday, issued by Swedish Post Office. The plate size is 114 x 144 mm.



***

Next we have a signed print of "Centralposthuset" (Stockholm Central Post Office). This lovely engraving was printed in 1996. Only limited number of copies - around 500 - were printed. The size of this engraving is 180 x 150 mm.



***

This next engraving is truly incredible in its detail. It depicts a rugged Swedish Coast with surf breaking against rocks. This engraving a part of a set of five by five engravers, sold by the Swedish Post to domestic customers only. It measures 100 x 67 mm..



***

Next up is an engraving produced for the 50th anniversary of the Old Wooden Post Office in Dalarna, called Talberg. This building is used as retirement apartments for Swedish postal employees. 300 copies were given to residents, while some others were sold to to the public. This particular piece has no date, but it is probably 1992. This engraving measures 118 x 117 mm.. 



***

Lastly we have a progress proof of an engraving Slania produced in 2001 for his 80th birthday. Plate size 203 x 153 mm.



These pieces are just fabulous! I'd like to thank Colin again for allowing me to share them here. Hope you enjoyed the eye candy.

Until next time...


3 comments:

  1. incroyable de realisme . une vraie beauté ce travail !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, he really was the master of all masters, wasn't he?! Beautiful stuff, especially those of Victoria and the crashing waves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt,

    I am glad to share them. They form the centrepiece of my collection which I display to Philatelic Societies in the UK.

    cOLIN

    ReplyDelete