Wednesday 13 January 2016

I Review - Czeslaw Slania: Catalogue of Works

Last year I gave you all a running commentary on my purchase, and eventual receipt, of Czeslaw Slania: Catalogue of Works by Janusz Dunst. After receiving the book in the mail I promised I'd write my own review of it. Well, it has taken rather a lot longer than I had anticipated to write it, but here it is, warts and all...

First of all I really need to stress that the thoughts expressed in this review are solely my own, and I'm sure there are those out there who have different opinions. If you feel differently to what I think please add your thoughts to the comments. I love hearing from fellow collectors! With that said, let's get into it.

The first step would be to take a look at the overall presentation of the book, which I think is excellent. It is hardcover, so very resilient to the rigours of regularly leaving through it. There are 230 pages, and they have been printed on thick, glossy paper, which I find quite robust. The only downside here, which is slight, is that the book is a little heavy. There is even an attached ribbon bookmark, which is a nice touch. So for presentation I'd give the book 10/10. This aspect of the book really is fantastic.


***

Next we come to the layout, or overall design of information contained within the book. In general, this is also excellent. Every stamp is shown in full colour, and many of Slania's designs which never made it to stamps are showcased as full page images - a very nice touch. There is also a loose leaf article on Slania's Art School Graduation Project. It's a pity this wasn't finished in time to be added to the book, as the loose pages swimming in the book aren't ideal. For design I give the book 9/10.


***

Now for some of the critical areas of the catalogue. How useful was the information in the catalogue? One thing I really did like was the way information was presented for Swedish booklets. An easy to read numbered table is provided to illustrate the different perforation types of each stamp. This is very handy, especially if, like me, you intend on collecting all booklet positions of, say, the Gustaf VI definitive stamps. I give this aspect 10/10.  



***

One of the few things I was unhappy with was the lack of information given for each stamp. Now, I know space restrictions prevent a lengthy description of what each and every stamp is. But I felt a little more info could be added. I still find myself having to refer to Ann Mette Heindorff's wonderful Slania site for basic information. This I found a little sad. So for this aspect of the book I can't give it any more than 5/10. 

***

Overall my score is 34/40, which is pretty good , I must say.

***

I do, however, have some criticisms. One thing that I was hoping would be in the catalogue but is unfortunately lacking is an easy reference table of the number of stamps he engraved for each country and what year he started engraving for that country. For me this would be a very handy tool to have. 

Also, I would've liked for the numbering system to include a running total of the number of stamps he engraved. What I mean by this is if I, say, wanted to find out what his 55th engraved stamp was, I'd just need to flick through the book till I found number 55. This would've been absolutely fantastic!

So would I recommend this book to anyone? Well, that actually depends. If you're the type who doesn't get to the computer much or simply prefers books, then I would say go out and grab the book right now! But if you don't mind using the net, then, honestly, I have found that I hardly use the book because I get more information from the Heindorff site. This has left me feeling, overall, a bit disappointed. Purely because I personally wanted more out of the book. Others may think differently, since this is purely my own opinion, based on how I like to use catalogues and what I expect from them. Ultimately, I can't say one way or another if this book is for you, but maybe the information I have given can help you decide.

With all this said, I just re-read this review, and I asked myself: would I still buy this book, knowing what I now know? I have to honestly say - absolutely. It still is a nice book with lots of lovely stamp pics!

I hope my comments weren't too confusing and were of help in some small way.

Until next time...

Stay Slania Crazy! 

7 comments:

  1. I have read this review with pleasure. Quite interesting. Good, that you presented your personal opinion and thoughts. I agree with your opinion about layout, design and outside look. Large images of Slania early designs.

    In your review you did not mention about other chapters of this book than stamp chapter. There are also banknotes engraved by Slania, private works, labels, art graphics and other items. These informations should be presented in your review.

    I agree with you about lack of longer descriptions of stamps and other items. But included are numbering from the Michel catalogue with different types of perforations.

    You have mention about the great Ann Mette Heindorff's website. But there are new website based on informations from Ann Mette site:

    http://www.theburinofczeslawslania.com/

    This is still unfinished but useful resource about Slania works.

    In reviewed catalogue is lack of easy reference table of the number of stamps Slania engraved. But I have catalogue issued by Czeslaw Slania Study Group and there such table is included. I can send you it if you give me your e-mail address.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keram,
    I'm really glad you liked it. To be totally honest, it completely slipped my mind to add the non stamp stuff. I will work on that tonight! I agree with you, it should be included.

    I have looked at the burin site a few times, and I agree it is great. But I still always fall back on the Heindorff site - personal preference, I guess :)

    As to your offer on the reference table, that sounds absolutely fantastic. The best way would be if you send me your email address in the comments - I will not publish it - then I will reply to you from there and you can send to me. How's that sound?

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt,

      Have you received my e-mail message with table of Slania stamps? Is this table are you looking for?

      Best Greetings,
      Keram

      Delete
    2. Hi Keram,
      Sorry I hadn't got back to you yet. Yes it is perfect! Thank you very much! It will really come in handy.

      Cheers
      Matt

      Delete
  3. I have always been a fan of your blog and the content you share but never commented. After reading this post, I got really very interested in getting my hands on this book. And now finally I've it, and its fabulous and has a worthy space in my collection.

    Thanks for recommending.

    Best Wishes,
    Saket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Saket,
      I'm so glad you like my little blog. I'll have to get back to posting again. Life has gotten a bit in the way lol. I'm glad my review helped you. You'll find that catalogue very useful indeed.
      Cheers
      Matt

      Delete
  4. Beeing a Slania fan for decades I really enjoy your fine site.

    I have had an accumulation of Polish slania stamps for decades and now have decided to dispose of this.
    1951 Coalmines 6-year plan Michel 761-2 cpl set of 2 cto €2.001952 Proletariat Ludwik Waryński   Michel 762 30+15 gr MNU € 0.80
    I have several 1000 of each, full sheets , fine and fresh, but they have curled into rolls. The stamps are in perfect condition. 
    Primary I am interested in exchange against other Slania items, but other alternatives can also be considered. 
    I have found some imperf Poland Slania stamps overprinted PROBA. Do you know anything about these?

    Anders Backman
    backmanstamps@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete