Monday 30 March 2015

I Muse... On Display Issues

Perusing my collection I have found, to my delight, that I already own a large number of the stamps Slania engraved for Great Britain. One of my favourites is the 1984 Bicentenary of the First Mail Coach Run, Bath & Bristol to London.

I have this set in a se-tenant strip of 5, which I think is beautiful. But herein lay my dilemma! How do I display the strip in a way that is pleasing to the eye? I personally use hagners for my stamp displays, mainly because they are far easier than fiddling with printing pages and finding ways to mount the stamps, a process which is far more costly for me than buying hagners. The problem with hagners however for strips such as this one is simply that they are too wide for the hagner.

So what do I do?

I guess I could do the sacrilegious thing and tear the strip asunder. Here perhaps...


This would allow me the present them on the page in this fashion...


Despite the fact that I have two copies of the se-tenant strip I struggle to bring myself to tearing it apart. For me this is a bit like seeing writing in books. It makes me cringe.

What other options do I have?

I guess I could mount it on the page vertically like this...


But this practice really annoys me as I have to turn the whole album on its side just to view the stamps properly. Unless I can learn some kind of contortionist trick whereby one dislocates one's head from one's neck and turns it ninety degrees.

What about a midway solution? I could display the strip n an angle like this...


To be totally honest, I'm not really partial to this look either. Pause while I exhale a deep sigh of confused irresolution. Well, looking at all the options I must confess I am no more enlightened than I was at the beginning of this blog post! For now the conundrum remains, and my crazy rant is officially over - for now!

Stay Slania Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment